Hog Wash...get it?...

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Roberta Tupper
Weekly Report # 4
10/2/05
Invocation Prayer and Scripture Reading

This week at Westview Wesleyan during the morning worship service I was asked to read scripture and give the invocation prayer.

I joined the pastors 15 minutes before the service started and we all prayed together. Then we went on stage and began with a greeting, announcements, and then a call to worship in the form of scripture reading. Pastor mark gave me two verse to read from the NIV and when I was done with that I invited the congregation to pray with me.

One thing that I really didn't like was that during the announcements time, while i really don't think that they should be there in the first place, then they gave one announcement that lasted for 7-10 minutes. The announcements was on improvments on the church grounds. Granted, they did this at the beginning of the service, it still felt like that particular announcement didn't need to be made. Of course, I think that it is important that the congregation know what the church is spending their tithe on, but announcing it at the morning worship service hardly seemed appropriate.

The one thing that I learn most this week was that although I may pray all the time mentally or out loud to my friends, leading a congregation in prayer can be very nerve racking.

p.s. Dr. Cherry I did two things this week to make up for time in the future when I will be gone traveling with ministry teams:) approved by cherry

p.s.s/ this blog is repeated twice for each practicum i did.

3 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Mary Rita Earle said...

Hi, I really like what you have done with your blog! Very interesting content. If you visit autos maybe you will find something you like too!

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Brennan said...

hey hey hey,
I think that it is great that you are gettinng involved by reading scripture in front of the congregation and praying for them. I agree with your comments on the announcements. While they are annoying and frustrating.....it is something that must be done and I honestly dont think that it should take 7 minutes or more to do them. That is a little extreme if you were to ask me. Any way I hope that things continue to go well at your church and God continues to use you in great ways!!
God Bless Brennan

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Chris Doan said...

Well, I almost want to play Devil's advocate in response to your thoughts on the greeting and announcements. I do agree that they should not take 7-10 min., but the congregation does have a right to know updates on different projects going on within the church. But, I would rather them tell me the updates during the announcements rather than have to break up the flow of the service at a different part of the service. Plus, its not like they give that update every Sunday; i think its alright for something like that for once a month or something like that. -chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home